How do I turn off net send so that I no longer receive net send popup messages? (Windows XP, 2000, 2003)
If you want to stop receiving net send popup messages on your Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 computer simply follow these instructions:
- Go in to the Control Panel
- Go in to the Administrative Tools
- Double-click on the Services applet
- Scroll down the list until you see the service named Messenger
- The status column show the current status of this service. It probably has Started in that column, either way this is the service you want to stop.
- Next to the status column is another that says Startup Type. If you no longer want to see net send popup messages this needs to be Manual, so lets change it.
- Double-click on the Messenger service
- Change the startup type to Manual and click Apply
- Then click on the Stop button to stop the Messenger service, if its running. Then click OK to close the window.
- Once you are back to the list of services, you should see that the Messenger service for sending net send messages is stopped.
Once you are sure the Messenger Service is stopped, you will no longer receive net send popups.
If you installed Windows XP SP2, it will disable this service for you automatically.
To validate you can no longer receive net send messages, download our free Net Send Lite utility and try to send yourself a message. If you get an error message that your computer or username could not be found, then you can NO LONGER get net send messages.