I get "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" when sending a message using Net Send Lite, why?
This is an error that is generated when the Messenger service is not running. To check if the Messenger service is running do the following:
- Click on Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
- Scroll down the list until you see the service named Messenger
- The status column show the current status of this service. It probably has nothing in that column. It should say "Started".
- Also, next to this column is another that says Startup Type. This needs to be Automatic for using Net Send Lite
- Double-click on the Messenger service
- Change the startup type to Automatic and click Apply
- Then click on the Start button to start the Messenger service. Then click OK to close the window.
Once you are sure the Messenger Service is running please try to send a test message to your own username or computername.
If you still receive the "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" error message, then the username or computername you are trying to send the message to does not exist or could not be located. Test this by sending a message to your own computername.
Another note: Try restarting the Messenger service via Right-Click Restart inside of the Services Control Panel. Then also restart the service name "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper". This is the service that does the name resolution on your username.